For the filling
900g/2lb tart cooking apples
175g/6oz demerara sugar
For the topping
225g/8oz plain flour
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. Peel, core and slice the apples.
3. Layer the apples, blackberries, and sugar in a large pie dish or casserole.
4. Place the flour in a large bowl and then rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs - leave a few lumps of butter so that the topping is not too fine. Add the sugar and mix through.
5. Use a spoon to sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the fruit. Bake for 45 minutes or until the fruit is cooked and bubbling juices seep through the topping.
6. Cool for a few minutes and then serve with custard, cream or ice cream.
I tend to make far more topping than the recipe calls for. According to my family, it's the best bit.