Friday 24 August 2007

Gateau Lawrence


Someone had the bright idea that we should have a barbecue, tomorrow, to say farewell to the colleague who has taken "early retirement" (read: made redundant). A very good friend volunteered her garden, I have bought his gifts and provided some food, including the chocolate cake of which he is so fond. 
Gateau Lawrence comes from Joanne Harris' book, French Kitchen, and is very rich, moist and usually delicious. I've made it several times but never with less success than today: the sugar stayed resolutely lumpy, the egg whites wouldn't whip, it cooked too well and the icing won't set. 
I hope the day goes rather better than the baking.

[Since then I've had much more success]

1 comment:

  1. This cake (pardon me, gateau) is really delicious when it turns out right. Think I'll make it again for my husband's upcoming birthday.

    Hope your colleagues liked yours!

    -Bridget

    ReplyDelete

Forethoughts, afterthoughts, any thoughts. Tell me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin