Funky. Another hard one.
- Having a mouldy or musty smell: funky cheese; funky cellars.
- Having a strong, offensive, unwashed odour.
- Of or relating to music that has an earthy quality reminiscent of the blues.
- Combining elements of jazz, blues, and soul and characterized by syncopated rhythm and a heavy, repetitive bass line.
- Earthy and uncomplicated; natural.
- Characterized by originality and modishness; unconventional.
- Outlandishly vulgar or eccentric in a humorous or tongue-in-cheek manner; campy.
Several definitions but fortunately there is one I can do: Having a mouldy or musty smell: funky cheese; funky cellars.
We found these hats in the attic before we renovated. They may not have been in a funky cellar, but the attic was most definitely funky and the hats were musty and dusty.
The man's hat, faded, discoloured, worn and crumpled, but it was once a lovely black velvet.
The woman's hat, again crumpled and faded, made of lace, ribbons and beading. This is the back view.
And this the front.
I know nothing at all about them, age-wise or anything else. There are no labels in them. I like to imagine the couple, because I assume they were a couple, wearing these, dressed in their Sunday best. I don't suppose they were young, wearing black, but they most definitely had some style. Even funky for the time!