Tuesday 1 May 2012

On the beach today

The weather has been so bad recently that just being able to walk along the beach has given me hours of simple entertainment.  It was good to be able to get out in the fresh air and look at what the tide brought in.  Nothing exotic but it helped me while away an hour or so.  I present not so much a collage as a compilation of what I saw.


A ball of fishing net was would up so tight you could have used it as a football, I suppose.  There is a lot of plastic fishing net around on the beach, some pieces larger than others.


A hagstone, supposed to be lucky because it has a hole through it.  This one had several interconnecting holes so maybe extra lucky.  I didn't pick it up so I hope my luck remains.







I'm sure this was a hubcap once.  I kicked it about and it seemed like a hubcap.  It must have been in the water a long time.



Somebody's collection of shells was abandoned, not allowed to carry it home, I imagine.  I have my own collection or I would have rescued them.  They are , I think all of them, whelk shells.


Whelks produce the white papery mass known as sea wash balls, their egg casings, also known as fisherman's soap.  If you use the ball like soap, apparently it will produce a lather.  I didn't try. 


A ridge of sand along the line of the beach.  We don't normally see sand at this level but it must have been deposited by the rough seas.  Later the lower edge has been redistributed by the tides but quite an amount of it has been left high and dry.


It's hard work walking along the shingle but I kept going because I though a shot of the two kites by the fishing boat would look good.  By the time I was near enough to get a decent shot, the kites had disappeared.

You can see to the right how sharply the beach shelves.  Getting back up to the top requires determination and a zigzag course.  You could clamber straight up but not with a camera in your hands. 


Right at the top, a bluebell was waiting for me, a garden escape I think.  Wild bluebells generally have fewer bells on them.  Tomorrow is the designated walking day so with a bit of luck and sunshine, i will be able to make a comparison.  Even though it was up close to the road, the roots must have had to penetrate a fair way down.

That was by no means all I saw on the beach - there were corks, seaweeds, driftwood, gloves (not matching).  all sorts of things to keep an idle mind happy.
Enhanced by Zemanta

11 comments:

  1. A great post! You lucky woman! All that sea and beach, shingle or not. You could have enlarged a portion of the pic to show the kites, that would have been good. Never expected bluebells on the beach! I enjoyed that walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know I'm lucky. :) That shot was already cropped. Any more and it went blurry.

      Delete
  2. And you say all this is brought in from Norway? Even that potato you called a Hag stone? These are amazing finds and I liked them all. No bodies washed up. Or at least no pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have some funny potatoes in your part of the world....

      Delete
  3. Great post, A. Thanks for sharing your observations. They make your beach excursion appear really special! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks YTSL. :) Nothing very exciting but I enjoyed the walk.

      Delete
  4. I love the little bluebell on the beach, even though it is usually in the woods! If you look at my blog, you will see some really nice bluebells from England two years ago on my header photo!
    Oh dear, you had a noisy milkfloat? I thought they were very quiet, you should hear American schoolbuses and garbage pick-up trucks, they can wake the dead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky enough to live almost in a bluebell wood in Hampshire for a good many years. Now I have to walk to one, but it's a sight I'll never tire of.

      Yes our milk floats used to whine but any noise is a nuisance at dawn, I suppose. :)

      Delete
    2. Love the bluebells, but then again, I get excited when I see a field of rape when I am in England!

      Hear, hear on the noise. (Oh, that's a bit of a pun, isn't it?) Any noise is a nuisance when you are trying to sleep, I know my neighbor's dog every move, without wanting to do so!

      Delete
  5. Beachwalking in Canada will be getting interesting, now the Tsunami debris is arriving. I was reading about the Harley Davidson found on a beach there and traced to its japanese owner.

    Last saturday I was on was Caswell Beach in South Wales, not much flotsam, but great rockpools with sea anemones, crabs, shellfish, and so forth. Lots of caves there too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the color of the pebbles!

    ReplyDelete

Forethoughts, afterthoughts, any thoughts. Tell me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin