Monday 3 December 2007

Sisal

sisal growing

From Business Daily.

In 1972 the sisal research station in Thika, Kenya, closed because prices for sisal had dropped considerably as everyone turned to the plastic bag as a cheap replacement. Nowadays, with the environmental impact of plastic bags being so well known, the sisal industry should be recovering.

Unfortunately it hasn't yet, but there are signs that prices are rising. In a more recent article there are reports that sisal and burlap bags are becoming fashionable. The Kenyan government has banned the use of thin plastic bags which should help the recovery.

I went out to buy myself what I thought was a sisal bag, but has turned out to be a jute one.

sisal bag

When I looked at it more closely, I was dismayed to see what I think is a plastic lining, but after a visit to the Jute Expo site, I have to believe it is biodegradable. Other jute bags are available from Canby, and sisal ones from One World Projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forethoughts, afterthoughts, any thoughts. Tell me.

Please try the alternative comment form if you're having trouble commenting.
(Thanks to John from Make Nothing Online for the work around.)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin