Thursday 4 June 2009

Buttercups and damselflies

Seen down by the river yesterday, a water weed called Ranunculus aquatilis or Water Crowfoot.  The first time I saw the river at this time of year, from a distance I thought it was pollution, but I'm told it is a vital part of the environment for the river fish.


While I was looking at it, I suddenly noticed little bright blue biplanes darting here and there.  They are Calopteryx splendens or, more easily, Banded Demoiselles. 


One very kindly agreed to pose!


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

9 comments:

  1. I've only ever managed to get one decent shot of a dragonfly. They're such beautiful little creatures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos as usual - Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Admittedly, I was going for shots of the water weed, and it was ages before I even noticed the various sorts of flying insects there were. I just took so many shots, the odds were that one would come out. I've tried before with no luck at all. They're really quite a sight.

    @LR, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super pictures - and what a lovely looking creature that Banded Demoiselle is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @YTSL, thanks. They are more beautiful in real life, especially when flying. In the suspended animation of a photo, they lose something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen a dragonfly since .... ages ago! In my elementary school days, my elder cousins and I used to catch them with self-made nets. :)

    arghhhhh..... beautiful childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one beautiful dragonfly. It's great that you were able to capture him in a photo. Beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Impressive details and a good story about how all creatures are important in the food chain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good eyes you got there and great photos too
    Good work

    ReplyDelete

Forethoughts, afterthoughts, any thoughts. Tell me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin