Monday 5 December 2011

Reflections on my river


"My" river I call it, the place I go to think.  In some ways it's always the same - a dependable presence - but in other ways constantly changing.  I was looking for an AA Milne quote about leaning from a bridge and came across quite a few other that appealed to me.  Some very apt, others just made me smile.


"Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known."
~ AA Milne

"Sit by a river.  Find peace and meaning in the rhythm of the lifeblood of the Earth."
~Author Unknown

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
~ Heraclitus

"The logs of wood which move down the river together are driven apart by every wave. Such inevitable parting Should not be the cause of misery."
~ Nagarjuna

"Between flattery and admiration there often flows a river of contempt."
~ Minna Antrim

" 'The River Styx,' Annabeth murmured. 'It's so...'
'Polluted,' Charon said. 'For thousands of years, you humans have been throwing in everything as you come across - hopes, dreams, wishes that never came true. Irresponsible waste management, if you ask me."
~ Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief

"Our trouble is that we drink too much tea. I see in this the slow revenge of the Orient, which has diverted the Yellow River down our throats."
~ J B Priestley

"Denial is much more then an Egyptian River."
~ Mark Twain

2 comments:

Forethoughts, afterthoughts, any thoughts. Tell me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin